Somehow it’s been seven months since an update on this project. Last fall it felt close to being done, then I ran into monitor issues, and then the winter rains flooded my workshop. It’s a 90-year old basement with lots of cracks allowing for the soaked ground water to rise, initially just the corners, as has probably happened for decades. But this season it nearly covered the entire floor, which doesn’t make for a particularly safe space to work on monitors. Once the rain stops the water seeps back out within a day, but this pretty much paused work for a couple months.
Red t-molding finished the cabinet work, then I focused on the control panel, drilling holes to mount the joystick and three buttons (a cheap set of hole saws and a block of wood behind the panel did the job), and moving the player two Atari cone button up and right of player one.
Next I replaced the mess of an existing Atari-to-JAMMA harness with a fresh one from Twisted Quarter. Having these labeled and separated into groups was quite helpful. As this was going to serve as a standard jamma cabinet, I mounted a volume knob and three-button panel for credit/service/test just inside of the coin door. The 6×9 4 Ohm speaker looked rather fragile, so that got replaced.
It was around this point when I pulled the K7000 chassis out to swap the yoke wires around in order to flip/reverse the image for an Arcadeshop board. After mounting the chassis back the image wouldn’t sync. Whether there was a short, a cold solder joint, or some failing part I wasn’t sure, so I pulled it out again but things never got better. After endlessly wrestling with Galaga’s monitor last year I wasn’t feeling capable of entirely fixing the issue, so I sat it aside and looked for someone who could repair it. I ended up finding a rebuilt chassis on eBay which, oddly enough, also wouldn’t sync the two boards I was using for testing. Soon I realized that neither board would sync in any of my cabs, so during my testing I must’ve fudged them up good, terrific. I tried a third game and that one worked fine. While I still had the monitor pulled I calibrated it and was fairly surprised to see it spring to life as well as it did.
Still, I was frustrated and concerned about larger issues in my rewired power supply area, so I unplugged everything and essentially started over until I was as sure there were no major oversights. Slowly I went over every connection, not finding anything wrong, except for the anode connector’s small round plate not quite sitting flush with the CRT, which had resulted in some very disturbing sounds coming from the tube. Alas, all monitor issues seem to have been resolved.
Finally over the past few weeks we’ve seen the sun come out, the rains let up, and so I started spending more time in the workshop again, cleaning up from last season and working on wrapping up this project. Really, it’s almost done!